Sunday, December 9, 2012

My Commentary on "The Telephone Conversation"

"The Telephone Conversation"

The price seemed reasonable, location
Indifferent. The landlady swore she lived
Off premises. Nothing remained
But self-confession. "Madam," I warned,
"I hate a wasted journey—I am African."
Silence. Silenced transmission of
Pressurized good-breeding. Voice, when it came,
Lipstick coated, long gold rolled
Cigarette-holder pipped. Caught I was foully.
"HOW DARK?" . . . I had not misheard . . . "ARE YOU LIGHT
OR VERY DARK?" Button B, Button A.* Stench
Of rancid breath of public hide-and-speak.
Red booth. Red pillar box. Red double-tiered
Omnibus squelching tar. It was real! Shamed
By ill-mannered silence, surrender
Pushed dumbfounded to beg simplification.
Considerate she was, varying the emphasis--
"ARE YOU DARK? OR VERY LIGHT?" Revelation came.
"You mean--like plain or milk chocolate?"
Her assent was clinical, crushing in its light
Impersonality. Rapidly, wave-length adjusted,
I chose. "West African sepia"--and as afterthought,
"Down in my passport." Silence for spectroscopic
Flight of fancy, till truthfulness clanged her accent
Hard on the mouthpiece. "WHAT'S THAT?" conceding
"DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS." "Like brunette."
"THAT'S DARK, ISN'T IT?" "Not altogether.
Facially, I am brunette, but, madam, you should see
The rest of me. Palm of my hand, soles of my feet
Are a peroxide blond. Friction, caused--
Foolishly, madam--by sitting down, has turned
My bottom raven black--One moment, madam!"--sensing
Her receiver rearing on the thunderclap
About my ears--"Madam," I pleaded, "wouldn't you rather 

see for yourself?" 

☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞☮∞




The problem in the selection is that the landlady is criticizing/judging the man.


Racism is present in this selection. 

According to the dictionary, Racism is a discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race. It is the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races. 

In the past, black people are slaves and are not respected. Now, they are not anymore treated as slaves, but still other people criticize them and does not respect them. 

When racism is experienced, You should prove them wrong. We are all the same and are created in theimage and likeness of God. We should all be treated equally.

Raism should be stopped! It is not right! 










No comments:

Post a Comment